Championship roundup: Neil Warnock leaves Middlesbrough after draw

Championship roundup: Neil Warnock leaves Middlesbrough after draw

Neil Warnock revealed his frustrations after his exit from Middlesbrough was announced minutes after the 1-1 draw with promotion-chasing West Brom.

Warnock, who was appointed in June 2020 to replace Jonathan Woodgate, had overseen an English football record 1,602nd professional game as a manager at Luton on Tuesday, but the draw at the Hawthorns proved to be the end of his latest stint. Middlesbrough said a decision had been reached by mutual consent, with the club lying 14th in the Championship table.

The 72-year-old Warnock said: “I am disappointed how it’s ended up but nothing surprises me really. I found out this morning with a call to say they were going in a different direction. I felt I deserved a bit more than that. But it’s not to be. I wish them all the best. Whoever comes in will get a great set of lads and some support in the transfer window.”

He added: “I am proud of my managerial record and I can’t see it being beaten in the modern day. It was hard coming into the club during the pandemic but to take the club through that and come out the other side, I am proud.”

Warnock’s assistants, Kevin Blackwell and Ronnie Jepson, have also departed, with Chris Wilder, the former Sheffield United manager, among those linked with the role.

Elsewhere, doubles from Dominic Solanke and Jaidon Anthony kept Bournemouth top of the table heading into the international break thanks to a 4-0 win over Swansea. Solanke opened the scoring midway through the first half before getting his second when he acrobatically volleyed home Leif Davis’ cross. Anthony was on hand to head home a rebound before finishing things off with a fourth in stoppage time.

Second-placed Fulham made it six wins on the bounce thanks to Aleksandr Mitrovic’s 20th goal of the season as they beat Peterborough 1-0. The Cottagers, with the best attacking record in the league, had to wait until the 74th minute to break the deadlock when Neeskens Kebano picked out Mitrovic whose header cracked Posh’s resistance.

Blackburn came from a goal behind to beat Sheffield United 3-1 at Ewood Park. Rhian Brewster’s second-minute strike put the visitors in front but Reda Khadra made sure the sides went into the break at 1-1. Second-half goals from Ben Brereton Díaz and Ian Poveda sealed the points for Rovers, who bounced back from their 7-0 drubbing by Fulham.

The 10 men of Coventry twice came from behind to defeat Bristol City 3-2 and stay fourth. On the stroke of half-time, Ian Maatsen brought down Callum O’Dowda in the box and was sent off, Chris Martin converting the penalty to make the score 1-0. The Sky Blues equalised when Matty Godden scored from the spot and, though they went behind again through Andy Weimann, Callum O’Hare levelled with 15 minutes left before Godden’s stoppage-time winner.

Stoke made it back-to-back away wins and clean sheets with a 1-0 victory over Luton at Kenilworth Road, Romaine Sawyers setting up Jacob Brown to celebrate his first call-up for Scotland with a goal.

QPR drew 1-1 at Blackpool, Chris Willock putting the visitors in front at the break before Gary Madine’s 52nd-minute penalty levelled it up.

Hull picked up a vital three points in the relegation battle as they beat fellow strugglers Barnsley 2-0 at Oakwell. George Honeyman’s first-time finish was the visitors’ first goal in eight away games and Keane Lewis-Potter made the game safe.

Cardiff ended a run of 10 games without a win by beating Huddersfield 2-1 thanks to Kieffer Moore’s stoppage-time winner. The Terriers hit the front on 12 minutes through Danel Sinani but Moore equalised with 15 minutes to go before stealing all three points in stoppage time with a fine header.

Millwall had to settle for a 1-1 draw against 10-man Derby. Festy Ebosele broke the deadlock just before half-time but Scott Malone hit back quickly against his old club. Derby held on despite Nathan Byrne being sent off with 25 minutes to go.

Nottingham Forest thrashed Preston 3-0 thanks to a Lewis Grabban double and Jack Colback strike, while Reading came from a goal down to earn the points in a 2-1 win over Birmingham. Scott Hogan put the hosts in front but a second-half brace from Jahmari Clarke sealed his side’s first win in five games.